Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How do you slow things down in your mind?

Over the past few years I have had several different people tell me that I need to learn how to slow things down in my mind. They said if I can slow things down then I can enjoy the present moment and handle situations better. Like when I鈥檓 writing a song they told me I have to slow the beat down in my mind so that I can get into it more鈥?.but the problem I have with this is I really don鈥檛 see how this will help anything, I mean I can imagine something playing slower but what鈥檚 the point in that? They told me that it鈥檚 like if life was a movie and you hit the slow motion button. But like I said what鈥檚 the point in doing this, and how do you do this? I tried but in reality things are moving quicker, so how do I slow things down? Can anyone explain this a little better to me?How do you slow things down in your mind?
This is one of the toughest things for any one to achieve, most especially someone with a super fast mind.





Firstly it will depend on the reasons that your mind is super fast.


Do you have a reason why it is that way and is that more to do with brain chemical imbalance than conscious control of your thoughts?





One of the most powerful ways I have discovered to focus and slow the mind and dift down into a deep place of relaxation is what they call crossing the alpha bridge.





When our mind is active it is in beta. When we close our eyes we can easily drift into alpha which is a more relaxed state right there. Now, if we open our eyes half way after having them closed around a minute, but not try to focus on anything, just looking down, we open for around 5 seconds and then close again. We feel ourselves drifting down fast, like a lift going down. Then after half a minute, we open our eyes again but just a quarter this time, for five seconds and then close again, you will feel yourself drift down very deep into a relaxed place of theta or delta. Once here, you can just focus on your breathing and turn all your thoughts into breathing.





Even if you only do this for five minutes, you feel refreshed and more relaxed.





One of the problems with always being on fast forward is that we can get tired and make mistakes. Even if we slow our brain down just for a few minutes a day, it can have a beneficial effect. Our thoughts are clearer, less jumbled, more complete.





What is the point?





Well, that would depend on what you want to achieve and the reasons why someone has advised you to do this.





In any case, crossing the alpha bridge is worth a try. It doesnt take long and I know that it has helped me.How do you slow things down in your mind?
try sleeping and rest
Perhaps that advice is not suitable to everyone. There is no 'one' magical way to slow down ones mind. Try thinking twice about what you are about to do before acting. Think about each element and consider what it contributes. Use other senses to experience something. A big part of it is just relaxing and clearing your mind. (This takes some practice.)





Some people function better when everything seems to be moving fast. I recall an interview with baseballer Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners. A reporter asked him if he saw everything in slow motion. He responded he saw just the opposite, everything to him moved in an accelerated pace. Given that he is a phenomenal hitter, the advice to slow things down would not seem appropriate.
Not sure if slowing things down in your mind will help, but try taking a breath and ask yourself how your feeling.?
Try to stay mindful, or stay in the moment. When you're doing something, let's say cooking dinner, focus your attention on the cutting and preparing and cooking. Don't let your mind wander. Pay attention to how the food feels, the texture, the smells. Maybe put the radio on for background noise. I know it's easier said than done, but once you do it a few times, it gets easier.
sometimes, I have a similar problem...that I go too fast in anything! that make me have a bad headache!...but then I close my eyes and remember God and ask him to help me get the tension out!...sometimes crying helps too....


I hope you find your answer here,,,probably many people have something to share with you!...


Good Luck!
Relax. Take it easy. Stop thinking about what you're thinking of.

No comments:

Post a Comment