Friday, August 20, 2010

I want to move in with my dad?

Hi I'm 20 years old and when i was 9, my parents divorced. It was probably one of the worst experiences in my life. Basically lots of drama, more than normal i think. My mom one time got a kitchen knife and put it to her stomach and almost commited suicide in front of us, and then fainted. She says my dad used to hit her but i must have blocked those memories out because i don't remember them or ever seeing bruises on her. After that, my sisters and i moved in with our grandma for the next year. Took my dad about that whole time to come see us, he said my mom didn't want him to see us and i believe him. She always said bad things about him in front of us and used to say ';Do you want to move in with your dad!?'; to scare us, and it was scary. She used to make us feel so guilty for wanting to see him.





After the first visit, he didn't come see us for a long time. When he did, we found out he was married to someone else and she had children already, i always thought and in the back of my mind sometimes still do that he loved them more than he loved us. Well about 3 years ago, he started coming to see us more and more, really often and I've gotten to know him better and he's been nice to us. His wife was nice to us too, but sometimes i feel the only reason he was seeing us is because her children are adults now and moved out.





Anyways, those feelings of deep guilt come back whenever i think about wanting to move in with my dad. I know they're because my mom has sort of brainwashed us, so I try to get over them. How do i let my dad know that i want to move in with him, and how do i know if he even wants me to move in with him. I'm tired of living with my mom, i just dropped out of college and I feel like **** already and she's adding to it. I'm going to be living on my own anyways in about a year and i just want to live with my dad for a little bit of my life.I want to move in with my dad?
Your mom sounds bad, but your dad sounds most likely worse. I'd say get a job ASAP and get your own apartment like yesterday!I want to move in with my dad?
dude my mom threatened me the same way, it made me hate my dad but then i realized hes a better option than living with my corrupt middle class mom and step dad

Report Abuse



You are an adult now.Either get a job and your own place or go back to school or join the


military.You don't need to live with your Dad,that ship has sailed..You can visit


your Father all the time but its time to grow up.The past is past.You need to get


past all the divorce crap.Your Mom was dead wrong to threaten you kids with


living with your father.But there is some reason she turned that sour on him so


don't just dismiss the fact that he may have beat her and you never knew about


it.Most men do not hit a woman where it shows. be careful.
At 20 you need to be looking ahead and planning your own life instead of trying to re-live your teens by moving in with your dad and his new family. Chances are, adding you to the mix will be an inconvenience to you and a burden to them.


Continue to make plans to hang out with your dad from time to time, perhaps bring something along to contribute to holiday meals.
I think getting to know your dad better would be great. i would bring the question up like ';hey dad, what do you think of me moving in with you for a while? i really like when you come over, but i want to spend some more time with you before i go back to collage(or get a full time job, whichever you choose).'; If he says no, then just except it. if he says yes, then pack you suitcase. i had to tell my mom i was going vegetarian, which was really hard. i know its small compared to this, but i have confidence that you can do it. ;) good luck! i hope this helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment