Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How can I get my dog & belongings back from my roommate? I was out of town and she moved while I was gone.....?

I never paid rent because that was the deal moving in. I went out of town for almost 6 weeks however I was only planning on being gone 4 weeks. She offered to watch my dogs. She told me she was moving, however she had been telling me for months she was going to move then things kept coming up. She changed her mind on location. Her mortgage company bankrupted and shut down. Then for 5 days before she left she would not answer my calls or texts and didn't say whether or not she was 100% moving. The house was a mess... food, dirty dishes, trash, even her little kitten (1 of 4 cats) was locked up in the bathroom for days on end pooping everywhere even in the bathtub making me unable to even shower there. I'm sure she at some point came by and checked on the cat, but I wasn't there when she did. I went out of town and once I spoke with her she was in a great mood (she has a personality problem that she will not acknowledge.. she goes through intense cycles of happy to evil) and she was being so happy and nice about the dogs and she mentioned that she was at the new house and i was like oh i didn't know you moved... then a few days later she calls back being so mean about me leaving my stuff and not packing it in boxes. Well she is going off saying my dogs cannot live there anymore and all this stuff bc she she hates them and theyre barking and so forth. So she's like I want to sell them bc you owe me money from the movers moving your room... these are registered Yorkshire Terriers who are worth over a thousand dollars each......... and I am just sitting there thinking oh my gosh she will not stop so and I honestly didn't think she would sell them... but I do know that life would've been easier with one dog, so I honesetly would have been okay with her selling just one of them because I Was considering that before I even left, selling or giving my little boy dog Tucker to my mom or someone. Anyways, the little boy dog dies and I obviously do NOT want to sell my girl and I do not want her in my ex roommates Care. My good friend who has a dog related to my yorkies offers to take care of her until I get home, but my roommate will NOT allow this to happen. For weeks I try and she wont answer me. When I get home she still says I cannot have my dog and I am so angry I call the police bc I have no access to my dog or my furniture or any other belongings. She gets angry that I called on her and tells me she sold my dog. Turns out my dog WAS at her house and she has been lying. The police said there was nothing he could do bc he didn't see the dog at the house.... but I am friends with her ';baby's daddy'; and he has confirmed that the dog has been at the house and I even went over and got the dog last night and took pictures to confirm that she's there. I didnt keep her in my posession bc the roommate would go crazy on the boyfriend if I did... bc he's not supposed to even let the dog out of the cage for like over 12 hours while she is at work bc shes mad at the dog.... SO HOW DO I PROCEED WITH THIS LEGALLY???????????????????????????? She is trying to say that I abandoned my things and my dogs.. but I have been trying to get my stuff back!!How can I get my dog %26amp; belongings back from my roommate? I was out of town and she moved while I was gone.....?
Call the police. If you know where she lives they can go with you to get your dogs and belongings. If she doesn't give them up, take the report and take her to court.





But you will have some difficulty in showing why you didn't have to pay rent. What was the agreement? Were you to exchange something in return for rent? Like cleaning and cooking? The court is more likely to believe that you owe her money. Because the majority of people do not just let another stay with them for free.





Save your documentation. Text messages, emails, etc showing you asked for your things back. She cannot just say you abandoned them if you tried to get them back. Two weeks late on coming back is not long enough for abandonment. Plus she cannot hold your belongings for collateral if she thinks you owe her money. That is a separate issue.





More than anything else, I hope you get your dogs back! I would give up my furniture if I had to but not my dogs! Take the dog and let her deal with it. Don't let her intimidate you that way. It will be on her to prove that you don't own the dog. You would have only taken what is yours. Plus get a statement from the bf. Have that put in the report too.





Call a different cop as that one let you down.How can I get my dog %26amp; belongings back from my roommate? I was out of town and she moved while I was gone.....?
take her to small claims court.
take her to court and get your puppies back
Take her to small claims court. If you have receipts for purchasing the dogs or for vet care bring them with you to court as well. Bring any receipts that you have for rent, utilities. Bring any e-mails, phone bills to prove you've been trying to get your belongings. Do this quickly before you lose your last dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment